Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Foreign One Pt. 2

So there’s a story my friends back home and I always laugh about these days, but when the story was unfolding we could not have been more worried, scared, and angry…

It was during my junior year of college at CSUDH and I got a call at about 6 in the morning. My friend Sarey’s mom called me asking me if Sarey had spent the night at my place because Sarey had not come home all night. I was worried, and this turned into a series of phone calls between my friends and I in trying to locate Sarey and making sure nothing happened to her. At some point I think Yaya initiated a missing person’s poster campaign. It turned into a squad search event to say the least.

Well things got squared away not too long after. After having noticed an endless amount of texts/voicemail messages on her cell phone, Sarey got back to everyone and the situation was put at ease. She came home late, and left early to go jogging. No one noticed when she came home and no one noticed when she left that morning. That was it.

So why have I decided to write about this event?

I’m glad you asked. Well on Saturday night/Sunday morning I had a “stay-in” night after many other events unfolded. I had been watching movies on iTunes and before heading to bed I thought I’d have Facebook a detour.

Well next thing I knew a fellow teacher, Lexi (who has only been in SK for ~2 weeks) IM’d me in total panic. The conversation asked me to call another new teacher Brooke (because Lexi has yet to get a cell phone in SK, she only has Internet) and to get her to call her mother. Here’s how that went:
1. Brooke left her mom a phone message mentioning the word “hospital”
2. IM from Lexi on Facebook asked me to get a hold of Brooke and to call her mom
3. I call Audrey asking her for Brooke’s number and fill her in
4. It turns out I already had Brooke’s number on my phone
5. I call Brooke twice and leave her two text messages explain the situations
6. 10 minutes go by
7. I get a text response from Brooke
8. We talk
9. Turns out her mom heard “hospital” but Brooke said “HOSTEL,” she had gone to Seoul for the weekend and left her mom a voicemail saying she had checked in at a hostel, not hospital
10. I tell Brooke to call her mom, and lecture her to this time enunciate
11. Brooke is officially embarrassed
12. I fill in Audrey and Lexi on the situation
13. It becomes a conversation topic on Sunday

And because of course this is the second time something like this has happened to me, I can’t help but laugh it off. But you better believe I will use this as ammunition to poke fun at the parties involved.

Before I left for SK, Nick told me that I should be on a mission to find Korean equivalents of all my friends. Even though Brooke is from Colorado…I think I found someone who can somewhat compare to my Peruvian friend.

p.s. Equivalents will never come close to the originals

p.s. HAPPY UPCOMING BIRTHDAY TO MY TWIN ETNA!

No comments:

Post a Comment