Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ferdinand and the High Road

Michael Vick's hurt? I hope it's not his hold-a-dog-underwater-til-it's-dead muscle. – A Sarah Silverman Retweet originally posted by @thesulk on October 3, 2010.

I remember seeing this tweet because I “follow” @SarahKSilverman and laughing in my head about how spot-on Michael Vick gets addressed nowadays and how everything changed when his dumb-butt got caught staging dog fights. Animal cruelty sucks and it shouldn’t be allowed. Bottom line.

I’m not a vegan and I’m definitely not a vegetarian, but it comforts me more in knowing that an animal gave up its life in order to satisfy a human need, to feed the hungry. That is different from an animal having given up its life in order to fulfill a type of human greed, gambling, and recreation in a manner I can only identify as cruel. Dog fights, cock fights, and even bullfighting I find to be unnecessary, cruel, and downright ignorant.

Did you ever read the story Ferdinand the Bull? I remember reading it in early elementary and completely loving it. If you haven’t you should and you should share it with as many children (and grown-ups too, why not?) as possible because it has an awesome message. Ferdinand is a bull in Spain, and like many bulls in Spain he is destined to become a fighter against a matador (side note: matador is a Spanish word for “killer”—just saying). However, Ferdinand is not like the other bulls. He appreciates things like nature through looking at flowers and enjoying the shade under a big tree. He decides on taking the high road and that he’s a lover not a fighter. Aside from relating to him, I found it to be true of animals.

They may not speak, but they are definitely part of nature and they can be loyal if you treat them right. When I see things on the news like how an underground cock-fighting arena was raided, or how a ground for breeding fighting dogs was evacuated, I can’t help but think of the pets I’ve had in the past. I grew up in a household where we never-not had a pet. And I mean everything: birds, fish, lizards, turtles, dogs, and rabbits. My family is a pet family and I would love to have my own dog as soon as I could room one. But when I see these news reports I just think of the faces of my old pets and my family’s current dog, Patches, looking back at me. What did these animals do to deserve being programmed to fight their own kind? Why should they be tortured for the sake of a bunch of drug-peddling-alcohol-induced-overly-addicted-to-gambling audiences? I never understood this. The only justification for watching pain for sport is if you’re watching people boxing, ultimate fighting, etc. They made a conscious decision to be there.

To make a light situation out of this blog I decided to post this video which is related to my topic, just forward to 3:15 (funny stuff).


No comments:

Post a Comment