Friday, June 18, 2010

Pride for bro & LA, bank!, and S. Korea v. Maradona (no bueno)

So these past 24 hours (or so) have been pretty cool. My topic for this week with my students is American universities. One of the most popular ones that the students seem to have background knowledge about is Harvard. Harvard is part of my lesson but with each period that I repeat information about Harvard I find that it is geographically unpleasing. You see Harvard is in Boston. Boston is the home of the Celtics. The Celtics suck. Itso facto Harvard sucks (only in this respect).

Yes, very proud to be an Angelino because my LA Lakers won the championship. It was an edge of your seat, glad I took a lunch break at a restaurant with ESPN, biting your nails type of game. Wish I had brought my Laker stuff aboard with me. Still proud of them from a distance, that game was intense. Leave it to the Lakers to go all the way to game seven in the series. Loved going to the parade last year with my twin Etna, wish I could go again, but I support from the east.

Well speaking of pride my brother graduated from high school today (or yesterday, this time difference thing, geez). I am extremely proud of my little brother and everything he has accomplished. I am very proud that he will be starting college in the fall. Funny thing is that I was talking to a childhood friend on Facebook and he is going to CSUDH at the same time as my brother. My old friend saw my brother at orientation and when I came up in conversation he found out I was in South Korea. Pretty funny in my thoughts. According to my brother Suzy, my old boss at OSL and my friend, recognized my brother as my brother as she bore witness to our resemblance. Suzy is great and really helpful, thanks from a distance. Yeah it sucks I wasn't there for his graduation, but in all light to the past he wasn't there for my high school graduation either, or my CSUDH graduation. Ok, I promise to make it to his grad school graduation as he was able to do the same for me. Proud of you bro!

I'm really excited too because I got a bank account here in Korea today (I needs to gets paid). It's from a very exotic named bank, very eastern, perhaps you've heard of it? Citibank? Yes yes, here goes the "way to immerse yourself in the Korean culture" lecture once again. Sorry, well not really sorry, but I like seeing things I can familiarize myself with and that I know I can use when I return to LA. So yes I have a Korean Citibank account, of course here they just call it a Citibank account.

Speaking of all things Korean, how intense was that game against Argentina? Four to one, wow. Maradona is legend, I'm not the biggest devout soccer follower and even I know you don't mess with that team. It's no wonder there was no betting amongst the teachers when it came to this game. At one point while watching, Korea came really close to scoring a point but the ball had just missed the bar to make it inside the net. At that exact moment my neighbor, whose presence I just realized, hollered like money, or wolf, or that crazy cat lady from The Simpsons. It was loud and caught me off guard. Well Korea lost and the next day it was hard to come by a person who was wearing a red shirt to show their support for their "Shouting Korea."

Well that's all for now, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment