Monday, June 7, 2010

The New Puppy

So I'm in my second day of teaching. Getting through my lunch break here then I have one more period to teach. I know I know, I thought I wasn't teaching until later, but because the semester here is nearing an end, they need someone to close off this semester of English classes.
The way classes work here is different from America. I teach more like mini-seminars. The kids are set apart in groups by grades and by proficiency levels. I teach 19 groups in total, which means I actually "teach" for about 19 hours a week. Each group is maxed at 20 kids, which means sometimes I get less than that, which I am fine with. Each period is 50 minutes long, and the kids take 6 periods a day much like in American schools.
The week is about introducing myself. So I've gone ahead and presented them with a PowerPoint about me (my favorite topic if I do say so myself), my hobbies, schools, likes, and tastes in movies, music, books, and television. Most of the things I have found are things the kids here can relate to (i.e. The Simpsons).
These kids have been really nice, even the ones who aren't in my class that I see when I walk the halls. This isn't my first time in a classroom so I know it may very well be the "honeymoon phase" where all the kids get to play with the "new puppy" they just got (and not be so impressed to walk, feed, or bath it after two weeks). But William (past teacher) said he really enjoyed it and that's why he stayed for three years.
I'm really craving a McFlurry, which in Korea, have real fruit in them (not just Oreos). Might go get one by the base when I'm done here.
Tomorrow is a big day. Mr. Lee, my co-teacher, takes over my classes (which are only three) because I have quite a bit to do. I have to register for my alien registration card at immigration and then head over to an orientation for teachers in my program. There I will meet teachers who are teaching abroad, like myself, in different parts of Korea. I've heard this is a good way to get to know people I can relate to.
Well my next batch of kids is coming in about 10 minutes.....write to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment