Thursday, June 10, 2010

"It's a pretty F'd up custom"

Hello all,
Well the last 48 hours have been tiring and at the same time fun. This Wednesday our libriarian took me all over the place. I went to immigration to register for my alien card. It should be here in ~2 weeks. I know where I want to bank, there's a Citibank near the base, so it's good to have a place where transferring US fund won't be a hassle.
After I was taken to immigration I went all over Suwon for an orientation with the other teach abroad teachers in my program. Since we got to the city early we went to visit one of the historical sites, this huge defense wall that's about 200 years old. I was in awe. I wish I had brought my camera and at that time I hadn't figured out how to use the camera on my cell phone (now I've learned). Also, I know I've been bad about taking pictures, but cut me some slack, it's my first week. I have a whole lot of weeks to take pics around here.
So I made it to the orientation where I met a lot of great people. It was great seeing people who are on the same boat as you, English speakers living in the east. I've added some of the new people I've met on Facebook, and hopefully we stay in touch seeing how there's comfort in knowing you can vent and compare experiences with others. In the sense of networking the orientation was really helpful and I enjoyed everything everyone had to say.
Yesterday, Thursday, was my busiest teaching day. I taught 6 consecutive periods and my only break was lunch. Me feet are still bitching and moaning about it. But after work the other English teachers had a sort of welcoming cook-out for me held at the house of a retired English teacher from the same high school. It was nice seeing people outside of the school and sharing stories. Mr. Lee, my coteacher, and I were talking about some Korean mannerisms, almost like Korean table ettiquette 101. And it's not like I HAVE TO know these things because people don't expect it from me, but I find it nice to learn. At one moment he was teaching me about receiving a drink from an elder and he was like "It's a pretty fucked up custom, but we still just do it." I loved it! Hearing a Korean-born English teacher drop the F bomb was like a hug from baby Jesus.
The cook-out went well and again, it was nice seeing everyone outside the norm workplace.
Today is Friday, holler! Two more periods to teach and then the weekend is all mine.

Notes to self:
-Try and take pictures
-Pray that the load of laundry I left in the machine is washed and ready (and I didn't mess up because the buttons here are different)
-Finish unpacking (Yes, I still fish for clothes and other things inside my luggage)


Have a good weekend other hemisphere!

No comments:

Post a Comment