Thursday, June 24, 2010

"But what's happening to you right now, precisely at this instant, belongs only to you...Own It."

So my friend Nancy gave me this great book called A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future... by Michael J. Fox (aka the eternal optimist). I only brought 2 book w/ me here to S. Korea, this one and the Sarah Silverman autobio I mentioned in another blog. Well first off I found this book to be amazing. Fox may not have gone to college, or even graduate from high school but I could relate to him in a way that I think most people could. Growing up isn't something you learn from books and tuition, it's something that happens because of how your surroundings, family, friends, and loved ones affect you and the way you think. However, once you've grown up and figured out who you are and the person you want to be there's something that only you can bring to the table. It's funny because I had a conversation with someone last night about how human being are multifaceted creatures that cannot be placed into just one category...as much as societal pressures try to label. Because you have a special formula that makes up who you are, you are able to take yourself and what you represent with you at all times, whether you are at home or somewhere distant. And I quote "You can't change the essential nature of a place, don't count on the place to change the essential nature of you." I concur. I'm me and you're you. It doesn't matter that I'm in South Korea at one moment and South Long Beach the next, I am still me wherever I go. I will learn things from these different environments but changing these places to suit me would require something that is not natural and having the place change me means that I haven't been able to figure who I want to be yet. There's another quote I really like and it goes like this, "Wherever I go, I bring myself. And so far, it's always been a roundtrip." This totally reminded me (English major sinking in) of the hero's journey. You go somewhere distant and you learn and discover new things only to return home and apply everything you have learned. In regards to mentoring others, "Whatever it is they teach you...pass it on." Needless to say, thank you for the book Nancy.

In terms of life and times in S. Korea, it's been going pretty well so far. I've learned where new places are, some of the restaurants, and discovered other things here and there thanks to the befriending and welcoming nature of some of the other English teachers, both from my school and other schools. A special thank you to Mr. Lee (my coteacher) and Lizelle (teacher at the middle school next to my school). I actually have three days off work next week because I have to go on a training retreat that my teaching abroad program is sending me to. The elementary teachers already went and I've been told of some of the highs and lows. I will be packing my earplugs (Thanks Felicia). I represent secondary education, so our training may be tweaked compared to what they had.

I've gotten to know more things on my own as well, especially stores where I can get what I need. Again, this sense of being "spoiled" comes into play because I was fortunate enough to get placed in a super Americanized part of Korea, so my adjustment period was a hell of a lot shorter than those staying in other regions, but it's not like they have it bad or anything like that. Someone even said yesterday that Songtan looks something where someone just took a big chunk of the USA and decided to place it there. But it's been cool leaving Songtan and discovering parts of Seoul (especially Yongsan...I like it a lot there) and new parts of my region as well.

I was glad to know that my brother got his graduation present and that my dad got his father's day present (of course a late delivery from my mother is to blame for the gift's tardiness). I talked to Julie (my niece) today although I don't think she was in the mood for a phone call. Thank goodness for Facebook and Twitter (and Blogger too). I have to credit social networks for allowing me to stay in touch with you all.

Well that's all for now I suppose. See you next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment