Sunday, June 6, 2010

First weekend here


Well as read in my last post I found many things that told me I'll be fine here. And now this weekend is winding down and I've learned more and more about Korea I know that I will definitely be fine.
In the morning I got a call from the previous teacher who had my position at the high school I work at, his name is William. William told me that if I wanted to he would show me around and give me an "American survival" type tour around here. He met me at my place and we headed to the train station nearby. There he helped me get a T-Card, much like those used in the public transportation system in Boston, and load it up. We then took the train straight to a part of Seoul. We went to the Yongsan station. This is no ordinary train station. It is a ~7 floor mall with everything any American will really ever need. Starbucks, has it (even had my grande iced vanilla soy latte!), KFC, has it (I had lunch there), IMAX theater, has it. The place is full of people from all around the world too (mostly Americans and Canadians) so everything is super easy to do there. We then took a taxi (still super cheap) to Itawan, which is really reminiscent of downtown LA. I felt at home here. They have everything there: Mexican restaurants, Dutch bakeries, Dunkin' Donuts, Cold Stone, and the list goes on and on and ON!
He taught me how to take the train back home, as he had a different stop as mine. I really appreciated what he did for me, and he told me what he has learned in the four years he has been here (and counting). He also gave me some pointers about the school.
I then headed back to the "main gate" to pick up some essentials and to pick up my dinner at McDonald's. Why assimilate to a culture that's already assimilated to you?

My weekend is now coming to close and now I know how I can spend my weekend from here on out. I have to create a quick PowerPoint for work right now and then catch some Zzzz's because tomorrow I introduce myself to the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment