Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Question and the Typhoon

So in my last blog about this venture out with my coworkers I forgot to mention one thing. There was a question floating about with my fellow teachers and it went like this.

"So we want to know, because we all really like you, are you going to renew your contract?"

Then I heard a record scratch, and I think time paused for a while. My response was in all honesty what I actually think about the situation: I don't know. I did say to myself at one point that if things didn't turn around back in the USA, or if things went really well in SK that I wouldn't mind staying another year. But I'm barely going into month three so I really don't know. I can't speak for how the other nine months are going to go let alone any time after that. What I am sure about is the fact that I'm going home sometime in the winter and that I would return in the summer too. Anything after that is a big question mark. I, however, would never stay for more that 2 years. You see, I have a California teaching credential, and if I were to stay in SK for more than 2 years then my credential would expire. I wouldn't allow myself to let that happen because it would seem like a waste of both tuition and three semesters at LBSU.

So now time can unpause and we can return to our regularly scheduled lives.

==========================

There is such a thing as weather. Back in LA we have one season: summer. Here in South Korea, not only do they have seasons (plural), but they also have these disturbing and annoying things called typhoons, who knew?

Well this typhoon woke me up in the middle of the night, caused a blackout, had me get ready and eat breakfast in the dark, appreciate that electricity was running at work, then have it go away only to have to teach two periods without my beloved technology, and then have it come back on to have things going as usual. That's some powerful weather.

My co-teacher said SK hadn't had a typhoon in some years, so it was overdue. I guess I can relate as the same can be said for eathquakes back home. I remember he told me when I first got here that this summer's humidity was the worst in had been in some years too. Well la-di-da, lucky me.

In a constant effort to find things that make me laugh, you can enjoy this:

Disclaimer: I actually think Kesha's music is okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment