Thursday, September 9, 2010

"In The Midnight Hour, I Can Feel Your Power"

Religion....

This topic, much like the last blog, is the result of a single "tweet" posted not too long ago. This blog could not have come at a better time either. This week marks the week of the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, and the end of Ramadan in the Islamic faith, Eid. Without thinking about these two monumental holidays in Western culture, my topic this week with my students has been religion, mainly what I call "The Big Three" (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). I've been teaching them about the family tree and how Abraham, Jesus, and Muhammad are all rooted in the same family tree.

Granted, anyone that knows anything about me knows that I am not religious, like AT ALL. But I must say I do show my respect to those that decide to follow an organized faith and I would never influence their decision, as I hope they would not do the same to me (It's called respect). However, I do know that all the religions offer valuable tidbits in philosophy and humanity. They are all rooted in the same message, a message I follow: Be a good and decent person, if you do something bad, make it right. That's it. That's what I follow. I feel everything will fall into place if you just follow the golden rule.

I also find interest in relgion, and although I may not agree with its organization, I must say that there is much credit that should be given to relgious literature. The Bible, The Torah, and the Qu'Ran are all well written books that paved the way for other works of Western literature. However, current events do not seem to see it that way.

I will say that I have learned a lot from friends in different religions. I learned a lot about Islam from Zorah, a lot about Christianity from Phoebe, and a lot about Judaism from a great teacher, Mrs. Goldman. I have been very priveleged (dare I say blessed?) to have been exposed to an abundance of information that has allowed me not only to learn about, but to have made an informed decision about my faith and believes, as well as tolerate the faiths of others.

This blog not only emerges from my lesson plan for this week, but also from the fact there is much non-tolerance going on in the USA. Because a mosque is being considered as part of the multicultural memorial (emphasis on MULTICULTURAL) of ground zero, people have found it as an excuse to burn Qu'Rans. Some ministers and imams have made outrageous blanket statements that tell me that they should both take a deep breath and to just sit down and have a conversation. It doesn't do anyone any good to hear these supposed religious leaders yell and belt out outrageous statements that make them look bad and should instead have an informed conversation. Also, and a complaint, they need to remind themselves that the basis for their religions is that we are all the children of God (try and remember that please!).

I kind of felt outraged as well when I got an email in my Spam folder. I SOMEHOW (I really have no clue how) got into some email list for the Tea Party (a party of which makes regular Republicans look lenient). Well I usually don't pay attention to my bulk mail, but I must say that the title, "Ground Zero Imam Blows More Smoke Than Sheds Light---Threatens the American People" caught my eye. Yes, that was in the Subject line of the email. I, of course, opened it and read it. After reading it, it made me more outraged and it made me think that once again, the statements said are making the people who are saying them look worse than the group they are opposing. This is a quote direct from that email (no edits) about Muslims:

"They are perennially violent, 24/7. And, is it the responsibility of the rest of the world to examine each action to determine how it will affect this very unstable and violent group of people?
Any Mom can tell you – don’t reward bad behavior!"

Really? Saying Muslims are violent 24/7? No offense but this email sounds like it comes from people who think about violence 24/7. And don't reward bad behavior? This isn't a group of puppies you are trying to train, this is a religious group you are talking about. "Bad Mulims, bad bad Muslims." <-- That's what I imagine them saying. No offense, but no religion, ethnic group, or social class is perfect, and blaming a large group for individual radical actions is just wrong. It's the same crap that's happening with the Arizona immigration laws and the Don't Ask Don't Tell laws in the military. I bet you anything that there were Muslims in those Twin Towers who did not see those airplanes coming. I also bet that not every German during WWII was a law-abiding Nazi. Just ask the protagonist of my favorite movie of all time, Schindler.

Wow, this rant went on a lot longer than expected. The power of a tweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment