Sunday, September 5, 2010

Whomp, there it is!

The feeling is here. Woah, I feel it in my gut. What finally caused the three month feeling? Four students in my school, that's what.

Our foreign exhange students came in today to meet everyone. They don't start classes until Thursday, but they came in to get to know the school area. I saw them at our daily morning teacher's meeting. They introduced themselves in English and Korean.

That didn't do it for me. But it was nice to see these students I've heard so much about in the past several weeks.

What did it for me was when I was getting coffee from the English teacher's room (kind of like our teacher's lounge, but for English teachers) and saw them all sitting on the couches there. They were talking to the other teachers in the room, I greeted them and then I sat down to talk to them as well. As soon as that first question, or commentary, or whatever it was exited my mouth, I felt it. I was them 3 months ago. I was right there where they were sitting being asked some of the same questions about myself, my home, my background, etc.

I was just like "woah, there it is, in my gut!" It's so funny because I was having dinner last night with a couple of friends and I mentioned how the day before had been three months since my arrival to South Korea and how I didn't feel new anymore, especially that I now have met people who have been here less time I have. But that was all I really felt.

But talking to these kids, seeing their eyes looking back, I felt like I was them. Yeah, I'm older, but they're kind of on the same boat as I am. They're here for a year, they have a lot to learn, they want to be here, they see it as a great opportunity, their families and friends are excited for them, and they plan to make the most out of the experience. It was like looking at the 17 year old version of myself (I don't know if that makes sense or not). I just saw them sitting there, having to meet an abundance of people, and getting to know the campus. Yep, I could completely relate.

I was happy when the French students were impressed with the amount of French I knew. I had to backtrack to my middle school French class, which has the most God-awful teacher, but I will give her credit that I learned a lot and it stuck. 3 out of the 4 speak impeccable English, which is great.

So here it is. Today is Monday, so it's my best day out of my work-week as I only teach two periods on Mondays. Maybe that will help make me feel better. Yet again, I have a lot of free time, that's a lot of time inside my own head.

I should've brought that book that's in my room to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment