Sunday, August 29, 2010

Oscarfest's Not-So-Hangover

"I know I did something, Lord what could it be?" -Sublime's Tequila

"Quien quiere otro tequila? Pero del bueno, eh, del bueno!" - Paulina Rubio's Dame Otro Tequila

"Mostest most on tequila, Bestest friends on tequila" -Alanis Morissette's On The Tequila

So I have to be careful with the smallest things I say sometimes... So my coworkers in the English department love going out in a group (I may have mentioned this before in a blog/tweet/or status update somewhere). Well this past Friday we went to this really cool restaurant in Songtan where you make your own spring rolls. I love spring rolls, especially back home with a hot bowl on pho. It was a farewell to summer welcome fall type of celebration. So the food was great, and soju and rice wine was being passed around. At some point one of my coworkers, I believe it was my co-teacher Mr. Lee, mentioned that he knows soju and rice wine are not popular in America, so he asked what type of liquors people drink over there. I told him the prime candidates are vodka, tequila, and rum (in no general order).

Well it seems that with the smallest thing I say, it gets turned into an "Oscar Event." I like to call it the term my friend Claude once coined when thinking about Oktoberfest and instead blurted out "Oscarfest" (I like). I should've learned by now that any idea or mention of anything I do back home gets turned into an after-dinner event. This happened once when I said something about karaoke and turned into a full-on norebong night. So Oscarfest got turned into tequila night. One teacher mentioned a bar, while another bought 2 bottles of Mr. Cuervo. I then turned into Mr. Navarro when I had to teach them all how to do the following:
1-salt
2-shot
3-lime/lemon
Being volunteered as the example meant I had to do many explicatory shots, for education purposes of course. Next thing I knew two of my coworkers passed out. Literally asleep at a bar. It was quite humorous to watch. I was fine actually, not affected at all. Everyone was surprised at how well I handle myself. This is of course not a reflection of what some of my friends think back home ;-)

So it's Monday, and the talk of the day was who did what and how hungover people got. One teacher said he slept for 24 hours after he got home, while another said she still felt the headache. I didn't boast about a great fact that my friends know by now. I don't get hangovers. It's a scientific fact. In fact, I think the night-after gives me more energy. Like let's-go-to-IHOP-and-stack-up-on-pancakes-the-next-morning type of energy. So when they asked how I was I just said "Ok" and that I didn't feel bad at all, I left it at that. I figured I wouldn't kick them while they were down (or trying to still recollect the events of that day).

Well, that's all. Oscar needs to watch the smallest words during after-work social hours. In the meantime, here goes my favorite song dedicated to this happening drink, which reminds me of my friends back home every time I play it:




No comments:

Post a Comment