Thursday, March 31, 2011

Decision: Made

Hello,
Talk about a week of getting asked about my decision by my friends, it's been pretty huge in comparison to other weeks when I get asked the question about me coming home or staying in SK. It's been a long time coming, but it's done, dunzo, it's made!

So is Osc coming home for good now, finally? No.
So is Osc staying renewing his contract to stay in Korea? No.

Before I tell you my decision, here's a little back story (haha, I'm making you read!). So GEPIK, the program that has allowed me to teach in Korea, is going through a reconstruction. This remake of the program would allow teachers to come into Korea only two times within a year, in March and in September. At first I heard this as rumors on the Facebook walls of different fellow teachers and emails, including one I got from the guy I replaced at my school. Well what would this mean for me? This means that if I wanted to renew my contract and that if my school wanted to keep me, that a lot of meetings would have to take place because since GEPIK won't pay for me to stay in the months between my contract's finish (June) and the next start-up date for teachers (September), then my school would need to find the funding to hire me that summer. I spoke with the teacher who's job is to be "in charge" of me and the happenings in my program, and she indeed confirmed that these rumors were true. I was prepared for these rumors to be true and I proposed a resolution that I think will make all parties involved VERY happy.

So in June I'll be going home when my contract is over. Ideally I'll be back home looking for a local job to keep me home. However, if I don't find a teaching job in that time, then I will lean towards reapplying at my school to teach again in Korea. So all in all, I will in the very least spend three months back home. I'll be home all summer long, and is there any better time to be in LA?

The teachers in the English department conferred for a whopping two minutes about my proposition, and it's a go.

That's all. I'll be in this employment purgatory back in LA in hopes to make one of those prior questions into a yes. Hope you enjoyed reading about my decision.

-oscar

p.s. Summer......whoop whoop!

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe I sat here and read the WHOLE blog..lolz but I'm glad I did and I think your decision is perfect but hopefully you'll find a fabulous job in LA so you don't have to go back :) O you got to come visit me in florida ok...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's like a perfect situation! hope to see you before we both leave the ROK!!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Z- I know, I'm excitied. Hopefully you can stop by LA in the summer too :-)

    @Jade- I hope I get tosee you too, don't worry, the traditional big-Korean-goodbye gathering will be planned. Expect on attending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wacko!!! Glad to hear your coming back lol you can help me clean my classroom during the summer yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! i like the plan...but is this a well plan out april fools joke? JK! YAY Osc!

    ReplyDelete