Thursday, March 3, 2011

Los Angeles Mom Theory on Education

I just got off the phone with my mother.

I spoke with her last week, and to paraphrase that past conversation quite frankly I think she'd feel better if I were to renew to my contract here in South Korea. I still don't know. Time is literally of the essence and I have about 3 weeks to decide if I'm staying another year or not. Granted, if I decide to stay in SK, I would still spend my summer vacation in LA (which would be longer than this past visit during my holiday vacation).

Back to my mother. A week ago she has filled me in on a rolling layoff update LAUSD did recently. How bad is it? It's really bad. Take a look:

This past weekend a couple of friends and I got together just to hang out and I ran into Jaime. Jaime is a teacher in Pyeongtaek who is from LA, and she actually taught at my school during my winter camp. We started talking about the situation back home, and it actually turned out that both of our mothers are on the same boat when it comes to informing us and trying to sway us into the rational decision of staying. After comparing conversational notes, it's like in the same parallel universe we had the same mirror conversation with them. They both gave us the stats on the So Cal teaching situation along with having to look at the big picture. Cue to Twilight Zone music.

Although I'd love to come back home, things are looking grim, and to be honest it would suck for me to be up for a job against someone who used to teach me or someone who has light years ahead of more experience than I do.

I even had a Facebook chat convo with someone who used to serve in Circle K e-board with me back in CSUDH who I hadn't heard from in years and I got the same token of advice. I think it's the type of stuff I need to hear, the outsider looking in. I, my friends, and my family (mother exempted) are sometimes biased and would love for me to come back. In an ideal world that would be great, but I have no intention of asking for change under the 110 freeway on-ramp.

Seems like a negative blog, but let's be realistic about this. There's lots of thinking ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment