Thursday, April 14, 2011

School, school, and more school









I'm not going to lie; I've been too busy to blog recently. I do the occasional tweet and Facebook status because those take mere seconds. A blog on the other hand requires some premeditation, and I’ve gotten in the habit of having them mean something. The overall umbrella of “school” has been covering my head for some time now. I’m in the midst of trying to find a job back home, all the while planning my trip back home. This was also my last week of my extra classes alongside planning this weekend in Busan, and since I’ll be gone I have to be assured that next week’s lesson is done. I will say that I’m blogging now because I’ve obtained some breathing room. Busan is pretty much planned for, the lesson is done, my extra class came to a close yesterday, and the trip(s) back home are moving along nicely (especially today).




As such, I wanted to note that in my school, my students have had speech exams this entire week. It’s the best week for someone in my position because the students shower you with compliments in thinking that flattery will get them everywhere. The theme for their first speech exam of the school year is to tell me what they would do if they were either the principal of this school or the president of South Korea. Here are some snippets from their replies that I found noteworthy:




IF I WERE THE PRINCIPAL OF OUR SCHOOL….




...I would have a siesta time.


...teachers would be made to wear uniforms.


...I would make all electronic textbooks.


...parents may not support me because I won’t focus on studying.


...if teachers are late, then they have to write standards.


...I would change the school statue from an eagle to my face.


...I would increase Mr. Navarro’s salary. 


...I would switch to the American school system.


...I would make a Christmas party.


...and if you sleep in my classrooms, well you shouldn’t, because I would get very angry. …I’d change the design of our school skirts, it’s terrible!


...I’ll extend Mr. Navarro’s contract period because he makes students understand very well.


...(and my personal favorite) Finally, Hey, Mr. Navarro! Look at me. I'll would give you a lot of money in your paycheck this month because you decide my score. You cool with that?






IF I WERE THE PRESIDENT OF SOUTH KOREA…




...I would have reunification of South and North Korea, there are many separated families. (This was a common theme in many)


...I would have more trash cans in South Korea.


...well in Sweden education, healthcare, insurance, and elderly welfare is free, but the people pay 50% tax.


...and if people wanted alcohol or cigarettes, they would have to give evidence that they work like my father.


...I would leave a lot for my husband.


...my mom and dad would live like a king and queen!


...I would enlist my brother in military service.


...I would invite Lady GaGa to my inauguration.


...I would get Barack Obama’s autograph.




They’re pretty good, right?




While on the subject of school I got an update from my mother about my niece Jujubeans. She said my sister (her mom) had a conversation with the teacher and that they want to enlist her in gifted classes. The teacher said she observed something in my niece’s behavior. That is that Julie talks a lot in class, but when asked a question about the material, she’ll ace it. Well right off the bat the level of familiarity in that statement caught all of my attention. I vividly remember Ms. Arabe, my first grade teacher, telling my mom, “Oscar is smart, and he understands everything, but he’s just too social.” Blast from the past! Isn’t it funny how history just repeats itself? I expect nothing but great things from that kid.




Well on those positive notes, I’m off. Though my load has been lightened there is much to do still, especially today. Big happenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment