Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"I said good day" -Fes from That 70's Show



So 9/09/10 we get Fes, not just one, but four. Four foreign exchange students will be coming to our school to study this semester. At first I was told it would be one, then six, and now the number has been dwindled to four. My co-teacher just told me that two will from France and two from Taiwan. Although I will try my best to meet the French students halfway by retracing my middle school conversational French, I have no perception of how to approach students from Taiwan. I know that European education is multilingual and based on a 20/20 special I saw some time ago, it is conventional to speak many languages in their education system. We shall see. My co-teacher informed me that the education system in Taiwan also strives for a multilingual basis, and that in fact he feels it is better than French education as he has had exchange students from France in the past.


When I first got to my school I wrote about how I was the "new puppy" everyone wanted to play with, and now I can already see it happening with the Fantastic Four who will be coming in a short while. This whole exchange student business is part of my principal's activity through the Rotary Club. As a member of the Kiwanis family (through Circle K), I have some understanding of how these clubs function. Rotary and Lions clubs are really big here is Asia, just a side note. Kind of nice to know I won't be the only foreigner on-campus. My duties so far have been to inform the English Club what of what a foreigner might like in SK (from an American perspective of course) and I will have to inform the staff of what I feel their proficiency levels are so that I can place them in the right class. Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment