Sunday, August 22, 2010

The First Day

"Out for summer / Out till fall / We might not go back at all" -Alice Cooper's "School's Out"

So today is the first day of the Fall semester in S. Korea and it seems that with every teacher I've talked to and with every Korean teacher's Facebook post I've seen today that the message is clear: It's a weird day.

It might be the weather, who really knows. It was beyond hot this past weekend in Songtan and Pyeongtaek. I had a lot of fun though partying like summer was over, like it was 1999. It then starts raining like crazy today. My coworkers tell me that it may be the transition between summer and autumn weather, which I'm really excited about.

But what mainly seems to be weird is the fact that the first day of school feels like the first day ever. The first day I ever had students, the first time I came to Korea, the first time I ever taught in the history of ever. Even my coworkers and fellow foreign teachers agree. Nice to know I'm not alone on that one. One of my coworkers was so out of it that she walked into the wrong class during the wrong period ready to teach the students who were there. It proves my point: weird day.

The gloomy clouds are hovering over the school at the moment contemplating if they're going to rain over me on my walk home. Come on clouds, give Osc a chance.

I must say I got used to my summer, which rocked, so maybe this is how everyone is dealing with having to see it go.

I must also add that I missed the school's cafeteria, it was mashisoyo!

Time to get the gears grinding on this routine business again.

In the meantime in between time, here goes one of my favorite teaching skits, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment