Sunday, November 21, 2010

"We never thought that we'd get caught up stuck in a teenage waste" -N. Furtado

So being a teenager should stop when you’re….geez, I don’t know, A TEENAGER?!!
It’s so funny because people still act like they did when they were in high school, people treat you like you’re still in high school, and high school just has a way of creeping in on you when you least expect it (for instance, halfway across the world, just as a hypothetical situation of course).

So a couple of things have happened to bring this topic to my attention (obviously). First one happened with the only two people that I REALLY still talk to from high school. Granted, I have friends from high school on my Facebook friends list, but aside from and occasional comment back and forth, I don’t ever plan to see them. So these 2 friends of mine and I, along with other involved individuals had altercations with 2 other people during our senior year of high school. Seems like those 2 people just got a Facebook (side note: barely?) and have decided to add us, but not both at the same time. One requested me, while the other requested my other 2 friends. Comprende? Well this led to a big can of teenage worms to open up and even an exchange of countless messages as well as a wall post that hit the 50+ comment mark (I think that’s some kind of record). After talking and evaluating the situation with one another, no action has yet to be taken.

The next thing that has happened came upon and observation made by one of those people from high school I only comment back and forth sporadically as mentioned earlier. (WARNING: this portion of the post gets pretty nostalgic) He went to our high school, which is currently under reconstruction, and mentioned how none of our magnet teachers, except for Mr. Aldrich, are there anymore. Well it seemed weird that his first visit came 8 years after our graduation. But yes, many of the teachers we had are long gone. Ms. Hurst (my Algebra 2 and AP Calculus teacher) left right after I actually interviewed her for a paper during my first semester of college. I can’t remember what quite happened to her. Mr. Cook (Chem and AP Physics) was fired for obvious reasons…..***cough**** rum ***cough***. Mr. Aldrich (World History and AP US History) is still there, Lizzy and I talked to him a great deal when we visited a few times together. Now the English teachers, they hold a special place. Mr. Odegaard (who taught me English in grades 9, 11, and 12th) was an awesome teacher. In retrospect, we probably had too much freedom, but I read a lot of my favorite books in his class. During my undergrad and credential classes I would visit him often to get my observation hours signed off. It was at that time that he was starting a business with his wife to sell a hemp-based fashion line at Fred Seigel’s, not too shabby. So that’s probably why he’s gone, to start that venture. Ms. Pilon, one of the most passionate people for English and my 10th grade teacher, is the one teacher I’ve actually had a strong rapport with. Aside from being my teacher, I was also her service student, and she hired my friend and I for the summer to help her move into the Department Chair classroom because she had been moved up. After high school, I also went to her class for observations during my undergrad and credential classes. THEN, I actually had a graduate course with her while working on my Master’s. She was getting a library concentration in her degree because she wanted to be a librarian (much like her sister). But now she is teaching at another school, and really enjoys it. I’m happy for her.

But there was always one teacher who had a special place in everyone’s backpack in high school. Mr. Footlick, my Bio teacher, and the one teacher who pushed his students, used to tell it like it is, and would joke around with everyone. I used to hear about his retirement when I was 15, and when I recently heard he no longer works there, I wondered if he finally went through with it. Good for him, he’s earned it.

Thirdly and lastly, another event that has tapped into the teenage me has happened with my family. It’s nothing major but it was one of those moments when I always end up saying, “I may still look like a high school student, but you guys do know I’m 26, have 2 degrees, and live in another country because of my job……right?!” In retrospect, this is also pretty hilarious.

Well to the teenage me, I hope to bid you ado, but know that’s impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment