Thursday, July 8, 2010

Place Title Here

I think the combination of being away, not having students, a YouTube abundance, and Facebook overload has fried what is left of my mushy little brain because I couldn't come up with a heading for this blog.

So I haven't really taught in 2 weeks (I know!). Reminder: I was away from work for 3 days last week because I had the conference for people in my teaching abroad in Korea program. When I came back last Thursday I was told that the English department agreed on letting kids study for finals all periods that day as final exams were going to start the next day. Final exams were held from last Friday until this Wednesday. Flash forward to yesterday when I found out all my kids were transferred to homeroom because finals were over. It's Friday here and it's the same situation, all my kids need to be in their homeroom classes during their English portion of classes until next week when one of my co-workers returns and the ball starts rolling again. So it's two weeks of being alloted much time to complete very little.

That's not to say I haven't accomplished anything in my time without the youngins. Next week is the last week of classes before summer vacation so I know most of these kids have "clocked out" because they've already taken their final exams. Knowing this I've decided to play "Bumper Bumper" with them next week, which is a cool English game lesson I got from my friend Miranda. If you're not in the field of education then I must tell you that teachers can plagarize with the best of them.

I am also storming up ideas with what to do with summer camp, which is a two week summer school type-thing. It's fairly easy because all of the English teachers are working on the same theme, news reporting, so my job is to get them to discuss the journal article for the day and elaborate on any vocab they may not understand.

I better get these kids next week. Having two computers at my desk is driving me nuts. How much YouTube can one person really digest? I've gotten so tired of twiddling my thumbs at work that I've gone to other English classes and participated in the lessons of other teachers. I have to get my education fix from somewhere.

=======================================

So I went to Costco the other day in Seodajeon and I must say that it bore 100% ressemblance to the Costcos back home. I'm still working on that awesome bundle of muffins. The only thing I wish they did have would've been Costco pizza. If someone could like freeze dry a couple of slices of Costco cheese pizza and a chicken burrito from Chipotle and send them my way I'd be forever in that person's debt.

Speaking of pizza, I went to Mr. Pizza here in Songtan (not far at all from my place) with my coworkers. These people love going out to eat. It's a pizza joint but it's Korean pizza. I had this seafood deluxe pizza that I must say took a little getting used to but all in all it was pretty good. In an effort to reaquaint myself with the pizza I know and love I made my way to Pizza Hut by my place...and hallelujah it was just like I remember it from back home. A veggie lovers, hold the onions, add the chicken...yes :-)

p.s. I also saw Knight and Day with some of my coworkers, waaaaay better than I had expected.

I'm really excited at the moment because summer vacation is coming up (how perfect was my timing in showing up in S. Korea?) and I'm going white-water rafting in ~2 weeks. Really excited as I've never done it before. It's a two day trip and I'm really looking forward to it.

Maybe heading to Seoul this weekend, don't know yet though, I guess I'll play this weekend by ear and see what others are doing.

Well this was fun folks and it kept me distracted from my student-less work existence. Enjoy your weekends out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment