Monday, July 12, 2010

"Grade Me!"........."Let Me Teach!"

Do you remember that episode of The Simpsons where the teachers all go on strike because Bart instigates a conversation between Edna and Skinner? Well in that same episode Lisa is yearning to learn and even bothers Ms. Hoover to try and teach her during the strike. Lisa gets so emotionally overwhelemed by her educational decline that she asked Marge to evaluate her by pleading "Grade me!" and she gets her fix with a huge sigh of relief when Marge scribbled A+ on a sheet of paper. Well at the moment I can relate to this situation Lisa was going through.



Prior to yesterday I hadn't really taught in two weeks. I was finally able to play bumper-bumper with them yesterday and I must say I got that Lisa Simpson high from it. I was finally able to do my job with my intended audience. I had a lot of fun doing it too. I must say that even at Sylvan when I went too long without teaching the kids because I had other duties, there was a part of me that missed it. Well today I had every intention to continue my bumper-bumper marathon, but because my periods are only 35 minutes today, I have put the game on hiatus until tomorrow when they are on regular schedule for their last 3 days of the spring semester. That and a combo of an in-and-out headache have led today to music movie day. This will allow them to listen to English music, which I must say is a great way to learn a language that a lot of people don't realize. Hooks and rhythms really allow one to see just how language can flow as well as improve intonation and vocabulary. I must say that I can attest a lot of my Spanish vocabulary to things like Spanish pop and rock en EspaƱol. Not to mention it really helps with idioms. Just to prove myself right I downloaded some KPop songs yesterday from Itunes in hopes to meet my students halfway.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found Bandi & Luni's on Sunday, the Canadian-based equivalent of Barnes & Nobles. I bought a C.S. Lewis book I plan to start soon. Got to love Seoul. I uploaded a whole lot of pics on Facebook that include things from this past weekend including hang outs at the Main Gate here in Songtan and some of my Seoul/Itaewon findings.
Breakdown: Mexican food with a Mexican band playing, hopping for pubs and bars around the Main Gate, the bookstore in Seoul, finding a chocolate covered frozen banana that rocked my socks in Itaewon, traditional belfry landmark in Seoul, late night noraebang (aka karaoke), and a pretty neat restaurant in Pyeongtaek that has these holes inside the tables that both light up your drink and keep it at a chilled temperature. These awesome findings happened all in the course of one weekend.
My kids are walking into my class any minute now.... I hope.


"I'm proud of you, Mom. You're like Christopher Columbus. You discovered something millions of people knew about before you." - Lisa Simpson on Marge playing a game on the Internet

No comments:

Post a Comment