Sunday, June 19, 2011

Learning Pause


Though I haven't been able to see everyone I've been on a mission to see, I have been able to see some family members and friends during my +1 week in LA, which was spent car-less until two days ago (so that made it a tad difficult to get around). One of the questions I've gotten the most is how I feel now that I'm back. The response that pops right off the top of my head is that things have been too easy.

You see, from going from a country where I didn't know the language and I always had the need and drive to learn more and more each day , including cultural aspects that were unfamiliar to my upbringing. There are times when I'm like "Damn, everything's too easy, everything is in English." It was nice and I didn't realize how much time I would spend while walking the streets in Korea reading the signs and practicing my knowledge of the Korean alphabet and my vocabulary (even though I lived next to a US Air Base and its surrounding community). I even do this one thing while going around LA when I see a business I used to frequent and think to myself, "Oh, how cool, it's still there." (this one happens more than it should) My friend Nick gave me a quick reality check by reminding me "Dude, you were only gone a year." True, true.

Things are still sinking in, especially more so now seeing how I've regained my automobile independence. Once the job starts, as mentioned in the previous post, my stay here will really sink in. There's the assimilation that comes with any job anywhere: knowing your environment, the people you work with, and the expectations they have of you. For me, that's currently in the beginning (truly beginning) stages of this game.

I'm currently watching Korea TV (LA digital channel 44-5) and watching the weather in the Korean provinces, their current events, and interest stories. Why didn't I used to get this channel in Korea when I had cable TV over there? Hmmm.

Also, after going to Sumo Sushi on Friday, a restaurant in Gardena, and looking at the shopping center that housed it, it was like going into a near-past time machine. Every shop in that center is in Korean, and guess what it houses? A magic straight hair salon and a Jimjibang (찜질방)!!! Even while having dinner with my friend Yaya (from http://yayayaks.blogspot.com/) the waitress noticed the Won (Korean money) in my wallet and started testing my knowledge of Korean language. It was fun, and it made me feel more at ease at the restaurant. The transition is easing.

p.s. # 1- I've been approached by two (or more?, I forget) separate parties to join them for Kbbq. I guess I'm the first person they'll think of now. No worries, I do miss the daily kimchi serving.

p.s. #2- I miss not tipping

No comments:

Post a Comment