Friday, February 21, 2014

Snow Melts

I just returned from the memorial service of Mr. Abel, my friends' father whom I had just written about.  As I heard my friend Nancy give the eulogy, I was overcome with pride for her, her articulation, her storytelling abilities, and her talent for getting people to ponder, rejoice, celebrate, honor, and respect the life of her father.  It is also a difficult time to see friends I have had for over 10 years be in the state that they were in tonight.

But from what I spoke before, Abel reminded me to celebrate moments, moments that make one's life here worthwhile.
Proud to call them friends


It is with that spirit that I ventured off to a trip to Vail to visit Brooke and Mark.  I had a blast hanging out with them.  Thanks to the both of them for taking me anywhere and everywhere.  I am looking back at what we did, and it involved visiting breweries, seeing Vail, Lionshead, hitting up Nicky's Quickie for Greek food, yoga (über hot yoga), ice skating in Beaver Creek, hitting up Buena Vista's hot springs (so amazing), and of course skiing.  They asked me to list what I enjoyed the most and I was stumped.  I had such an amazing time doing things with them that I couldn't pick a favorite, even still.

Thanks Brooke and Mark for an amazing experience!

Winter Olympic Training (yeah right) in Beaver Creek, Vail

Ski Time

With celebrating those around me, I have also been fortunate enough to share Valentine's Day with some amazing friends, thanks Pat for your organization.
V Day


I also got to share a special moment with my sister, Celia.  Right after my return from Vail, and mean right after, like an hour after, we bolted to Hollywood and watched "The Book of Mormon." It was a great show that shared our humor and musical taste. Again, we don't frequently see each other, but when we do, we have an amazing time, just like when we were kids.

Broadway in LA

I just came from snow, and I just came from a memorial service to celebrate a family man's life.  Although snow melts, you remember it.  You had your fun, you were a child in it, and were delighted in it.  When it leaves, you don't want to remember your time without it, you wish it were still here. But snow melts, but just because it is gone, you do not allow yourself to forget the great times you had in it.  My friends and I will not forget the good times you shared with us Mr. Abel.  Like Nancy said in her eulogy, people are only forgotten if you allow it.  Those memories will not melt.


PS
When I think of moments like these, I am taken to this song's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment