Thursday, January 27, 2011

End of Winter Camp, But not of Winter


So my two weeks of teaching winter camp are now over. I got to teach along with my friends Lizelle, Jaime, and Mike for two weeks and it was a blast. It was like a four hour work day, and I even got a bonus for helping organize the camp (sweet!).
The camp was set up into four groups, each foreign teacher taking on a question and creating two weeks worth of lessons around those question. Who, Why, How, and What were the class categories. Mine was Who, and I focused on post-modern humanitarians that included Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, Shakira, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King Jr, J.K. Rowling, the 14th Dalai Lama, Oprah Winfrey, and Princess Diana. At the end of the two weeks, the students had to present who they thought were the best male and f
emale humanitarians from what they learned. It was great seeing that the children all picked different ones and for different reasons and therefore letting me know that I had selected a good and diverse group of people for them to study about.


The winter camp commenced with winners from each one of the classes presenting their speeches, winning prizes, and a big dinner in Songtan. By the way, my new favorite dish: spicy chicken bulgogi. I had a lot of fun and now I get to enjoy a nice break during the Lunar New Year, which is followed by another break. Might spend a day or two in Seoul to take in the Lunar New Year festivals over there. Also, I'm dogsitting for my coteacher Mr.Lee in Osan for three days, so I think it'll be fun to get to learn about that part of Korea.




Still cold, but meh, what are you going to do?





Here's a video of one of the winners in Mike's class. It's a magic trick, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment